Walnut Live Edge Coffee Table



I finished up my first live edge table, made from a solid slab of walnut!

It started as a rough-cut slab with a few cracks and imperfections, but I could tell as soon as I saw it there was some beautiful grain beneath the surface.



I got it roughly level and smooth before filling any cracks with black epoxy.



Then it was back to sanding, sanding, and more sanding...



I sanded down to 400 grit before applying some Danish Oil, natural. Man, did that grain pop! I did 3 coats of oil in total.



While the table top cured, I welded together some stainless steel legs. Because of the shape of the top, I made one leg more narrow. I was worried the different sized legs would look out of place, but ultimately I think it helps it look like a custom piece of furniture.



The legs got 4 coats of semi-gloss black paint, and I mounted them on the underside of the table.



Here's the final product! This was a really fun project, and I loved working with a live edge slab of wood. I can't even describe how cool it is to watch the natural beauty in the wood come out as you reveal more and more of the grain.










Comments

Popular Posts

New Epoxy Top for a Struggling Ikea Table

Porch Swing

Epoxy River Coffee Table

Custom Built Wooden Computer Case