Kitchen Island Renovation


I started with an old record player cabinet that I picked up on Craigslist. It was pretty cool to see this transform from a heavily used, partially broken pile of wood in someone's storage unit into a functional and modern kitchen island.


I'm sure that at some point, this thing was beautiful. It was made of solid hardwood, and it had pretty nice hardware, but the years had not been nice to this cabinet. Rather than trying to save the wood, and sand through all of the layers of varnish and stain on this thing, I went the easier route and painted it. I took all of the hardware off, removed the doors, took out some of the odd interior shelving, and sanded everything just enough to get a nice smooth surface.

I painted the cabinet and doors a bright white, and applied a satin clear finish over the paint. I added some new black hardware, and a butcher block top I made from 2x4's. 

I think the black and white look great together, and I was surprised at how nice the construction lumber top turned out. I oiled it up with some food grade butcher block conditioner, and that grain really popped!


Comments

Popular Posts

New Epoxy Top for a Struggling Ikea Table

Porch Swing

Epoxy River Coffee Table

Custom Built Wooden Computer Case

Walnut Live Edge Coffee Table